- Revolutionary VTEC combines the power characteristics of both two-valve and four-valve cylinder head designs. The engine runs on two-valves-per-cylinder below 6800 rpm and then switches to four-valves-per-cylinder, delivering significantly stronger low-end and mid-range torque, while maintaining the Interceptor's impressive high-rpm power delivery.
- The Interceptor® meets the California Air Resources Board (CARB) 2008 emissions standards.
- Silent-type cam-chain drive eliminates mechanical gear noise. The system features a set of dual tensioners that maintain optimal pressure and lubrication for the camshaft chains, ensuring quiet operation and long life.
- Programmed fuel injection (PGM-FI) uses four laser-drilled 12-hole injectors, for finer fuel atomization, improved combustion efficiency, reduced emissions and increased power.
- Iridium-tip spark plugs are ignited by compact high-energy coil-on-plug spark plug caps that produce a strong, high-voltage spark.
- Unique NR-style center-up exhaust system incorporates two stainless steel mufflers tucked snugly under the Interceptor's tail section.
- Clutch features an offset outside friction plate for quiet operation when starting from a stop.
- Three-phase coil-spring damper in the transmission provides for smooth upshifts.
- Large-diameter, 43mm Honda Multi-Action System (HMAS) cartridge front fork provides enhanced handling under all riding conditions.
- Four brilliant multi-reflector headlights employ two centrally positioned H4 low/high beams positioned under two widely spaced H7 high beams for brilliant nighttime illumination.
- 5.8-gallon fuel capacity.
- Compact, 781cc DOHC 90 V-4 with an oversquare bore and stroke of 72mm x 48mm.
- Combustion chambers feature an 11.6:1 compression ratio and are fed by programmed fuel injection through short, straight intake ports.
- Interceptor engine serves as a stressed member of the pivotless frame, which features specially designed engine mounting bolts tuned to work in harmony with the damping characteristics of the frame.
- Aluminum composite cylinder sleeves are high-pressure-formed from sintered aluminum powder impregnated with ceramic and graphite. The composite sleeves provide better wear resistance and superior heat dissipation compared to conventional sleeves.
- Cast aluminum pistons feature LUB-Coat solid lubricant to minimize friction between piston and cylinder wall.
- Auto-enriching system is integrated into PGM-FI module, optimizing the air/fuel mixture on cold starts and eliminating the need for a manual choke.
- Solenoid-operated dual-air-intake-duct design keeps one duct closed during low-speed operation to ensure optimal control of air intake velocity.
- Dual side-mounted radiators maximize cooling efficiency using low-air-pressure areas created by side cowls to draw cooling air through the radiators. During low-speed operation, a thermostat-controlled left-side fan pulls cooling air across the radiator into the fairing, keeping hot air away from the rider.
- Rugged 125mm-diameter eight-plate clutch offers light weight and high load capacity.
- Exceptionally smooth-shifting six-speed transmission.
- Triple-box-section twin-spar aluminum frame features a tuned, pivotless design that isolates the engine-mounted swingarm from the frame and contributes to handling comfort.
- Interceptor's beautiful Pro Arm® single-side cast aluminum swingarm, mounted to the engine, provides an optimal balance of rigidity and tuned flex for superb handling.
- Pro-Link® rear suspension features a 40mm gas-charged HMAS shock with 4.7 inches of travel and adjustable spring preload and rebound damping. (ABS-equipped model has a convenient spring preload adjustment knob.) The Pro-Link arm is anchored directly to a cast aluminum bracket on the rear of the engine case.
- Linked Braking System (LBS™) uses a second master cylinder and a proportional control valve (PCV) to couple the three-piston calipers of the dual-front and single-rear brake discs for even better braking feel, while providing the peace of mind of an LBS system. Using the front brake lever activates the outer two pistons of the left-side front caliper, all three pistons of the right-side caliper and the center piston of the rear caliper. Rear pedal engagement activates the two outer pistons of the rear caliper and the center piston in the left-front caliper.
- The Interceptor's 296mm floating front brake discs feature a lightweight seven-spoke inner rotor design.
- U-section cast aluminum wheels are light and reduce unsprung weight.
- The six-spoke, 3.5-inch-wide front wheel carries a 120/70ZR-17 radial tire. The five-spoke, 5.5-inch rear wheel sports a wide, low-profile 180/55ZR-17 radial tire.
- The Interceptor's sleek, aerodynamic bodywork is functional as well as beautiful.
- Air flowing through a central air vent under the front windshield provides cool air to the rider at low speeds and increases rider comfort at higher speeds.
- A second model is available with Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) for even better braking control.
- High-tech instrument display includes electronic tachometer, LCD readouts for speedometer, air temperature, coolant temperature, odometer, two tripmeters, and clock.
- ACG output of 497 watts.
- Detachable seat offers access to space to carry U-lock and other necessities. (Lock not included.)
- Removable passenger seat cowl.
- Adjustable brake and clutch levers.
- Removable Injection-molded nylon passenger grabrails are comfortable to the touch in cold or hot weather.
- Folding aerodynamic mirrors.
- Model: VFR800FI ABS
- Engine Type: 781cc liquid-cooled 90° V-4
- Bore and Stroke: 72mm x 48mm
- Compression Ratio: 11.6:1
- Valve Train: VTEC DOHC; four valves per cylinder
- Carburetion: PGM-FI with automatic enrich circuit
Computer-controlled digital with
three-dimensional mapping and electronic advance
Transmission: Close-ratio six-speed
- Final Drive: #530 O-ring-sealed chain
Front: 43mm HMAS cartridge fork
with spring preload adjustability; 4.3 inches
Rear: Pro Arm single-side swingarm with Pro-Link single HMAS gas-charged shock with spring preload and rebound damping adjustability; 4.7 inches travel
Front: Dual full-floating 296mm discs with
Linked Braking System (LBS) three-piston
Rear: Single 256mm disc with LBS three-piston caliper; ABS
Front: 120/70ZR-17 Dunlop D220
Rear: 180/55ZR-17 Dunlop D220
- Wheelbase: 57.4 inches
- Rake (Caster Angle): 25.3°
- Trail: 100mm (3.9 inches)
- Seat Height: 30.45 inches
- Dry Weight: 481 pounds
- Fuel Capacity: 5.8 gallons, including 0.8-gallon reserve
- Color: Red
- My Fuel Mileage: 40/52/49 (my low/high/average)
- The following are from
on-line sources (third party):
Horsepower: 100.3 at rear wheel at 10,500 rpm
Torque: 55.4 at rear wheel at 8,600 rpm
Corrected 1/4 mile: 11.14 sec at 122.00 mph
0 - 60: 3.2 sec
0 - 100: 7.1 sec
Top Speed: 170.3 mph at 12,000 rpm in 12.2 sec on a dyno